file claim for unemployment
This Department of Labor web portal is your central location to access unemployment claim history (including histories for the LIHEAP program), the Maine JobLink, the Maine CareerCenters and to file and manage your unemployment compensation claims, if applicable. You will need to create an account to access the portal.
Welcome to a new, easier way to file
A new unemployment insurance system is coming, planned with YOU in mind.
ReEmployME (ME is pronounced Maine ) will give you faster access to your unemployment benefits information and an easier way to file.
To access these services, you will need all of the following:
- An active Department of Labor Portal account.
- A Complete and Active registration on your State’s joblink system that is separate from your portal account.
- Your Social Security Number.
- If you would like to apply for additional benefits for any dependents, you will also need your spouse’s Social Security Number.
- Your PIN (for current or recent filers).
- If you are not a U.S. Citizen, your Alien Registration Number and Expiration Date.
- Employment Information (for initial claims and weekly claims filings).
- Answers to questions about filing unemployment claims in Maine.
- Answers to questions about the Maine JobLink registration and use requirements when filing for unemployment.
- Watch short videos that explain how to file for unemployment benefits, outline your rights and responsibilities, describe common mistakes and work search requirements and answer other common questions.
- If you have a question about your unemployment claim that is not answered in the links above or on the videos about Maine’s unemployment system, contact the Department of Labor’s Bureau of Unemployment Compensation at 1-800-593-7660. TTY users dial Maine Relay 711.
Tips for Using the Unemployment Web Portal
- You should only create one portal account. If you have already gone through the steps to open an account, be sure you have checked your email to activate your account by following the directions before starting to create an account again.
- The system will give you three tries to type in your correct email and password. After the third unsuccessful attempt, the system will lock you out for 24 hours. After two tries, click the link for either Forgot your email? or Forgot your password? and follow the directions. This will prevent your account from locking you out.
- Do not use a false email address. You MUST have access to a valid email address in order to activate your account by going to the email address that you used to create the portal account and then following directions to validate the account. The Department of Labor will not provide your email address to any third party.
- Each person filing for a portal account must have his or her own email address.
- A new portal account needs to be set up even if you have used the previous unemployment web claims system.
- Your Maine JobLink account is different than your unemployment web portal account, the JobLink login will not work on the web portal. Note, however, that your unemployment client ID will be the same in Maine JobLink.
- If you call for customer assistance, be sure to let the person who answers the phone know which account you are calling about to make sure you are speaking to the correct staff person who can help you. We may refer you to other staff.
- You may file an initial claim for unemployment benefits if you do not have a Maine JobLink account. If you do so, the information from your initial claim will be used to initiate an account on Maine JobLink. However, before filing a weekly claim for benefits, you must activate and complete your Maine JobLink account. If you reside outside of Maine, you must be registered with the state JobLink of the state where you reside.
- If you have used an account on the Department of Labor’s previous job board system, the Maine Job Bank, that account will have transferred to Maine JobLink. Information about accessing your account is here. You will need to log in, activate it and complete any missing information before filing a weekly claim. Be sure to include your Social Security Number before filing any unemployment claim (initial or re-opening a benefit year) so that the unemployment system can match your existing account and you will avoid the system creating a second account for you.
- Find answers to frequently asked questions about the Maine JobLink registration requirement at http://www.maine.gov/labor/unemployment/mjl.html.
Having a technical problem with using this website that is unrelated to unemployment?
- Find Answers to frequently asked questions about Internet browsers, cookies, using this site on mobile devices and other technical problems.
Questions about this service? Contact the Department of Labor at 1-800-593-7660. TTY users dial Maine Relay 711.
The Maine Department of Labor provides equal opportunity in employment and programs. Auxiliary aids and services are available to individuals with disabilities upon request.
Account Sign In
(If you have not accessed your unemployment claims account since February 4, 2015, you must create a new account using the orange “Create Account” button below.)