MDOL: How to File for Unemployment, file claim for unemployment.#File #claim #for #unemployment

How to File Unemployment Benefits

When you apply, you will need to have the following information available:

  • Your Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number;
  • The business name, address and telephone number of each place you worked at during the past 18 months; and
  • The jobs you held and the dates you worked (for each employer).

Veterans who separated from the armed forces in the past 18 months will need to provide information from your DD-214. Federal civilian employees will need to provide information from your SF-8 or SF-50.

Once you have filed your claim, you will receive the Benefits Rights Booklet and weekly claim forms in the mail.

Filing Online

You can file online from any computer connected to the internet. If you don’t have a computer at home, you can use computers at the CareerCenter or at many local libraries.

The website portal allows individuals to create an online unemployment account; manage their profile, including editing contact information, username, password, PIN number and security reset questions/answers; and access a forgotten PIN, username, or password using security questions/answers. Current unemployment claimants can view and print heir benefit history transcripts, view their claim status, manage the direct deposit of their benefit payment, reopen an existing account or file a weekly unemployment claim. New users can access the Maine Job Bank, and file an initial unemployment claim. Users can obtain benefit history transcript, often needed when applying for services from other agencies, for example, LiHeap.

Frequently Asked Questions for Claimants

Filing by Phone

Call the Unemployment Claims Center toll-free at: 1-800-593-7660 or TTY: Maine relay 711. If you need interpreter services, press the number 1 once you are connected to the Claims Center and tell the Claims Representative what language you speak.

Claims Center Wait Times: During periods of high call volumes, you may have a long wait time on the phone or get a message to call back later in the day. We apologize for the inconvenience. Wait times are typically shorter on Wednesdays and Thursdays and in the afternoon.

If you do not have a phone at home, you can call from your nearest CareerCenter.

Filing by Mail:

To establish a new claim for unemployment (Initial claim) the quickest and most complete method is to file on the internet at You will need to create your own web portal account and complete the initial claim process. The web portal provides a number of self-service options for you to manage your account.

After you have established a new claim you must file weekly claims for unemployment for each week that you wish to file for benefits. You can file weekly claims on the internet through your web portal account. You may also file weekly claims on the telephone by calling 1-800-593-7660 and selecting the option to file weekly claims.

Under certain conditions, you may be required to complete a weekly paper claim. Paper claims are required for Dislocated Worker Benefits, WorkShare, Trade, Extended Benefits and when your employer provides you with a partial unemployment form (B-9) to complete and submit to the claims center.

Paper claims can be mailed or faxed to one of the claim centers posted on the back page of the blue booklet that is mailed to you when you establish a new claim for benefits.

Instructions for completing and mailing these applications are included with the forms. These forms are also available at your nearest CareerCenter.

Stay Informed

Follow us on social media or sign up for email alerts.

File claim for unemployment

File claim for unemployment

File claim for unemployment


File claim for unemploymentFile claim for unemployment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *